Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Banh Mi, and Thit Nuong

Banh Mi
Banh Mi is the Vietnamese fast food staple. Americans have fast food burgers, this is the Vietnamese version. Banh Mi is really simple. Using the thit nuong recipe with sliced pork, you've got your meat filling. There are way too many fillings that go in a Banh Mi, that I haven't tried yet. The ones I like happen to have pate, grilled pork or chicken and veggies in them. Vietnamese sandwich shops have the best demi baguettes. The rolls have a thin crisp crust and sweet and tender crumb. The rolls are sliced halfway through, mayo is spread on the bread, the meat is placed along with pickled daikon, and carrots, matchstick cucumbers, thin slivers of onion, cilantro, and jalapenos. I know there has to be more in them, but I never pay too much attention to what as I'm too busy stuffing my face. When I first started eating them, I would buy 5 and get one free, and they were only $1! Gee, that was 10 years ago. Now they go for as low as $2.50 upwards to $4 depending on where you are. Oh and you will need breath mints when you are done eating.
I haven't found any decent Vietnamese bakeries close to me, so I'm stuck with sub par baguettes from my local Kroger or Publix. One of my next projects will be to make demi baguettes.

No comments:

Post a Comment