Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

La Fhéile Phadraig Sona Duit!  In honor of St. Patty's Day my daughter's kindergarden class is having a small party with treats.  Sadly (for me) the class went with a decorate-your-own cookie activity.  As I was eager to test out some decorating ideas from the book I just bought Hello Cupcake I offered to bring in treats for the pre-K class as well.  That is the best way to test any decorating technique--because even if you totally mess up, as long as it tastes good the kids are happy.  I made green iced shamrocks and round leprechaun decorated cookies.
(note to self: next time allocate more than an hour to decorating 60 cookies, the beards were rather rushed and didn't come out as good as they could have)
Left: cookies drying. I used colored fondant for the faces, spearmint gummies for the hats, orange gummy slices for the beards and decorator's gel icing for the details.  
Right: Treat/activity bags packed and ready to go.  Each bag contains two undecorated shamrock cookies, a bag each of green icing and a mix of colored (two different greens, yellow, black, white) sprinkles, Smarties, and chocolate kisses

Tonight's dinner is a very Irish meal of Dublin Coddle and Soda bread.  I will post the results later.  

No comments:

Post a Comment