Sunday, April 25, 2010

Dublin Coddle

So, let's see, it's been over a month since I promised I would post the results of my St. Patty's Day dinner.

Admittedly I have a good excuse for my lapse:, but instead of giving you excuses, let's skip right to the food. :)


I've read many a recipe and several variations in researching the dish.  However, most of them all contained some variation of potatoes, onion, sausage, some sort of pork product (ham or bacon), parsley and pepper. Some used broth, others just water, a couple added beer but overall, they contained the same basic ingredients.  I also saw many with various vegetables from turnips or leeks to carrots.  With all that in mind, I went with the following:

Dublin Coddle
Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and sliced into large chunks
  • 2 large onions, roughly chopped
  • 1 lb pork sausage, either whole or cut into 2-inch pieces
  • 1/2 lb thick sliced bacon
  • 2 cups water or chicken broth
  • 2-4 tbl parsley (to taste)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 cup of carrots -- I added these just because I really love long simmered carrots
Over medium high heat, add the bacon, onions, and sausage to a large cookpot.  In more traditional recipes the sausage was left whole, but since this seemed like a total comfort food, the last thing I wanted to do was fight with a large sausage while eating.  Cook until sausage is browned and the bacon slightly crisped.  






Add the remaining ingredients and bring the pot to a boil.  Turn the heat to low and cover the pot.  Simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.  

Mmmmm, my house was smelling absolutely wonderful at this point.










Garnish and serve! I made some soda bread to mop up the juices.
And that's it. Easy as could be. But, oh my goodness, it was amazingly good.  Rich, salty, and filling.  My poor arteries aren't happy with me, but my tastebuds were in heaven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment