Monday, July 26, 2010

Blueberries!

Today, I went blueberry picking with a friend. I came home with 3.6 lbs of blueberries. I threw about 2lbs into the chest freezer and the rest, I've been planning to make Blueberry Boy Bait Not that I'm trying to catch a boy, lord knows there are 2 human males and one canine male in this house and they drive me batty. But come on, like anyone else, the name is the draw! I pulled my butter out of the freezer and started laying out the ingredients and pulling up the recipe on my laptop, and of course, there was something missing. My baking buddy! I sent Bella a text, asking if she was interested in baking with me and the planets, gods, nature, whatever were aligned. Bella was available and she had blueberries in her fridge to boot! Fortuitous! So of course, now it's grab our laptops and set up the skype and let her rip. I decided to make a full sized pan and Bella went with a 9x9. The excuse for me is that I can take it to work tomorrow and have people help me eat it all.

Not bad looking blueberries, and I didn't have too many stems, leaves or unripe berries in my basket.  The recipe calls for only a total of 1 cup volume blueberries.  That's not enough.  I decided to go a full cup for the batter and the topping.  it's not like I'm gonna run out.

I was totally amazed that I found Cabot at my Walmart.  But then again, they could have sold to a larger company or they aren't that great a butter, but I like it and it works well enough for my baking.

So two bakers chatting up and admitting mistakes while they are happening, kitchenaids running on medium speed at both ends the batter was made and some adjustments were announced.  We both agreed that there was no vanilla in the recipe and it just seemed wrong.  I poured in a splash, so not quite a full teaspoon in my batter, and since there was cinnamon in the topping, we felt the batter would be jealous.  A half teaspoon was added in.  Both of us skipped the toss the blueberries in a tablespoon of flour then fold into batter thing.

Now this is one full cup of blueberries in the batter spread out in a 9x13 pan.  Doesn't seem like much does it?  Now another cup of blueberries just tossed into the batter.  I'm not certain what Deb meant by scatter but it certainly doesn't look very uniform.

Now here is the cinnamon topping.  I decided since it was a full pan it would need the full 50 min.

 I totally stabbed many blueberries in my testing of the cake's doneness.
It seems 20 min cooling time was not enough.  I should have let it sit alone for a full hour to cool.
This is when I'm totally glad I have two full sized cooling racks.  I think in fact I want more ;)
It was incredibly moist, but hey with two sticks of butter sure why not?  The flavor well it wasn't blowing my mind.  It was sweet, yet there was something missing.  I used salted butter and kosher salt, but yet the flavor was rather bland.  The berries were picked at 10am same day, so less than 6 hours off the bush. Perhaps the cinnamon should have been increased?  I suggested that lemon zest was needed to help perk the flavor.

Would I make this again?  Yes, I would continue to tweak it, as I think it could fill that flavor profile I'm searching for.

(For Bella's attempt click here)

3 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy! And I love blueberries. I think I know what I'll try this weekend when I'm finally free from the daily drudgery of 2 jobs. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey honey! We know it's you from blog-stalking back. Definitely do suggest trying the recipe as, strangely, any leftover pieces rather rapidly disappeared around here.

    ReplyDelete