Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Apricot Preserves Pork Marinade and Summer Vegetables Salad

Pork tenderloin, how I love you.  You're quick, easy, go with a variety of sauces, and always come out perfect.

Really. I love me some pork.  Normally I just throw my standard soy sauce marinade on it but I was in the mood for something a little lighter, more summery and citrus so I went with a gingered apricot version instead.  Also, I was feeling especially lazy so was all about the easy. (Recipes after the break)
Apricot Preserves Pork Tenderloin (serves 4 with leftovers)
Ingredients:
  • 2 - 2.5 lbs pork tenderloins
  • 1 cup apricot preserves
  • 2 tbl margarita mix (or limeade)
  • 2 tbl soy sauce
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 - 2 tsp chili sauce, depending on desired heat (see picture of it in Jo's posting here)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  In a small saucepan combine all ingredients, except for the pork, and, stirring occasionally bring to a simmer then remove from heat. 

Yeah, I'm sorry, the picture is really blurry.  Won't even offer an excuse.





Remove pork tenderloins from the package and place in shallow baking dish.  I get mine from the local club store where they're as cheap, by the pound, as 80/20 chop meat.  They come two in a package which is going to be way more than you will need to feed four, but trust me when I tell you it is awesome the next day cold wrapped in flat bread with some greens.   

Here are the tenderloins, all squished up in the packaging.
Pour the sauce over the pork tenderloins and bake in the oven for 45 - 60 minutes or until the thermometer registers 160 degrees.  Flip the tenderloins at least once during cooking. 

Please be careful and don't splash yourself...I've done it and it stinks to have all those splash burns.  If you can't manage the flip, basting is fine as well.

Let the meat rest at least ten minutes before slicing.  Once sliced and on the platter pour the juices from the pan over the meat.  Serve. 

Yes, I know--could it be any easier?  I served it over curried couscous.  All I did there was cook one cup of couscous in a cup of chicken broth into which I'd added a teaspoon of curry powder, a tablespoon of butter, plus a dash of salt and pepper.  Yeah, I totally forgot to take pictures of it.  But you know what couscous looks like, right?

While I was on the quick and easy theme, while digging through my refrigerator I found a ton of really lovely in season vegetables--grape tomatoes, cucumbers, and red, orange, and yellow peppers.  

To make a nice, fresh salad I chopped up 3/4 cup of each of them then tossed them in a half cup of light balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing.  I then chilled everything for thirty minutes, stirring to coat in the dressing every ten.  
Could that be any prettier?

All in all, we're talking fifteen minutes worth of effort for a lovely seasonal and colorful meal--and all I dirtied was one pot, one baking pan plus the cutting board and knife.  No fuss and very little muss. :)  

2 comments:

  1. I am so making this for Christmas lunch. :D Grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins are coming over and I bet this'll make them happy. I had some problem identifying pork tenderloin since I don't know what it's called in Filipino and I need to shop in the local wet market. My mom came to my rescue and told me it's called "lomo" -- and it's the only part of the pig that she's been feeding us since I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bella you are a total goddess...

    ReplyDelete