Sunday, August 15, 2010

Banana Walnut Muffins

Ah, rainy Sunday.  One of those days that just begs for the warm smell of baked goods to be wafting around the house.  Lucky for me, I had a bunch of overripe bananas sitting on the counter that I had to do something with--so I did my usual "what to do with leftover fruit" thing which is bake muffins.

Now why muffins?  Sure, there are breads, jams, tarts and pies which all would have easily used up the bananas, but for me muffins are the best because if well wrapped, they can go in the freezer and last for months.  Then, for a healthy-ish dessert, I just pop one of them in BabyBella's lunch box (still frozen) and it's defrosted by the time lunchtime rolls around.  (Recipe after the break)

Banana Walnut Muffins (makes 12)
Ingredients:

  • 2 3/4 cups flour
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 6 tablespoons melted butter
  • 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Either grease muffin tins or add paper liners (I so prefer the later as its a much easier cleanup).  In the mixing bowl, mash the bananas with a fork. 

The darker brown the bananas the better as they will be sweeter as well as easier to mash.  Just looking at the mashed up bananas brings back the days of making BabyBella's baby food.   









Add the remaining ingredients, except for the flour and walnuts, and mix on medium for a couple minutes until everything is blended together.  It will be lumpy but don't worry about that.

You'll notice there are four eggs in my mixer--once I mashed up the bananas I realized I had more like three cups worth so I doubled the recipe.





Once everything is blended, gradually add the flour, a cup at a time, until well blended.  Again, the batter will be lumpy--don't worry about that.

Then, mix the chopped walnuts into the batter with a couple of quick stirs.  Take large spoonfuls and divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.   Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean.

That's it.  Yup, really, in about 30 minutes you have springy sweet muffins with a lovely little crunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment