Sunday, August 01, 2010

Berry Easy Cheesecake

I have mentioned my love of all things pie, right?  Well, let me expand that now to include all things made in a pie dish.  As part of my "hey, I'm inviting myself over for dinner along with the whole family, but no worries I'll bring the food" I decided to throw together a second dessert.  As I was already up to my eyeballs in other food prep I decided to keep it simple with a basic cheesecake smothered in seasonal berries.
Berry Easy Cheesecake Recipe
Ingredients:
  • 1 prepared crust (see here for instructions or just cheat and buy a premade one in the pan--hey, this is supposed to be easy. I tend to cheat and use the ones from Pillsbury)
  • 2 packages cream cheese, softened (8 oz each)
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 - 3 cups fresh fruit (this will vary, see below)
Preheat over to 325 degrees.

Beat cream cheese, sour cream and sugar on medium speed until well-blended.

Add vanilla then blend in the eggs one at a time until just mixed.  Do not overbeat.  Pour into prepared crust and bake 40 minutes.  

Let cool at room temperature at least 30 minutes then refrigerate for another 2 - 3 hours.

Once the cheesecake is cooled, arrange your preferred fruit(s) on top.  I personally used strawberries and blueberries as they were the freshest and nicest looking at the grocery.  But as this is a basic recipe it will complement pretty much any soft fruit that you find in season--kiwis, raspberries, blackberries, etc.  

If you're not serving immediately, toss any sliced fruits in a half teaspoon of lemon juice to prevent them from darkening before arranging them on the cheesecake.

The strawberries were so amazing looking. I used two cups, sliced, to top the cheesecake plus another cup of fresh blueberries.  









I started to arrange the strawberries all perfect and symmetrically but gave up and just "artistically" scattered the fruit on top.
And there you have it.  A perfectly easy, fresh summer dessert.  

Just before I had to transport the cheesecake I decided it needed whipped cream so I removed most of the blueberries, threw on some whipped cream on top of the strawberries and topped the whole thing again with the blueberries. Not as pretty, but from the looks of it (I tried to get a picture of the first slice, but they dove into it before I had even realized it was out of the fridge) that certainly didn't deter anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment