Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Monkey Balls!

As usual I check my favorite food blogs and one of my favorite bloggers never fails to deliver. Deb from smittenkitchen.com has a recipe called Monkeybread.  One of the reasons I'm following her also is that she has an adorable little baby boy, and she posts photos of the darling. Another reason why I follow Deb, my wonderful sister in law loves her recipes too and has a darling baby girl, who's just a few months younger. Plus they live in the same city! lol

Now, I don't have a sweet little boy. When the finished product was placed in front of him, and told what the dessert was called, he decided that the name didn't fit, but "Monkey Balls" did. So we will now refer to them as such.  (More after the break)

So follow along Deb's recipe and I'll share my experience with this recipe. The dough was a simple quick yeast bread recipe. Fairly easy, and when people say, " Quick yeast bread" they mean it takes 2 hours instead of something like a brioche dough which takes minimum of 8 hours.

This was my dough after I mixed the milk mixture and flour together, using my kitchenaid. ready for first rise
I had to knead the dough for 10 min, not 7 min.

after first rise I let the dough rise for an hour and 20 min.

64 pieces to roll into balls
I moved the cut dough all over the work area so they wouldn't stick together.

I did find that I used more butter and cinnamon sugar mixture than Deb did. I used 10 tablespoons of melted butter for the dipping, and increased the brown sugar to 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar, and 4 teaspoons of cinnamon.

finished rolling and dipping
I used a two cup pyrex measuring cup and dropped four balls in at a time, then using a wide soup spoon scooped the balls out and dumped them into the cinnamon sugar. I tossed them a bit in the bowl and using a fork removed them and placed in the bundt pan.

At this point I covered the bundt pan with the same piece of plastic wrap and back into the oven it went to rise again.
ready to go into the oven
Now we are ready for the oven. I baked it for exactly 30 min.

finished out of the oven

But what I didn't do was take it out of the bundt pan the prescribed time she mentioned. I flipped the pan after about 10 min.
2/3 of the monkey bread

I lost a few in that flip. they stuck to the bundt pan I think the problem might have been the timing and the shape of the bundt pan. I didn't have a round bundt pan, well I did, but it was a crappy silicon one, that wasn't able to hold it's shape properly. I tossed it many years ago.

But oh man were they tasty! The balls that were on the bottom had a lovely caramel gooey glaze. Photobucket They pulled apart very easily. Perhaps more gooey caramel was needed. Sorry I wasn't able to get a decent shot of the interior. But I can tell you, it had a sweet nice tender crumb. We all really liked this recipe, and the next time I make it, I will put a layer of brown sugar, butter and cinnamon mixture as a base and build the monkey balls on it. When it's served, it would be like donut sized cinnamon rolls, with a bit of the caramel goo on each one!

No comments:

Post a Comment